There have been a number of things that have kept me feeling uplifted and positive during this funny old year (aside from gin) and one of them has been Instagram. Not just for the memes, the comfort of seeing people when we can’t actually see people, or the Netflix suggestions but mostly witnessing the small business community thrive during what has been a difficult year for every business big or small.
Working in fashion and in particular on magazines, I cut my teeth on the High Street, pounding the pavements of Oxford Street more frequently than I can count, so there will always be a place in my heart for the big household brands that I have been lucky enough to work with over the years. But there is something quite wonderful about seeing a small business, and the people behind them who work so tirelessly, thrive. So I wanted to dedicate a space on the blog to them where I can share their wonderfulness and hopefully help them to continue to flourish in the lead up to Christmas.
Some of these brands I can vouch for and have items of theirs in my home that I cherish and all of them I tune into daily on the ‘gram and admire. Over the past few months I’ve become friends with some of the women behind these brands and they are every bit as wonderful as their wares so if you are thinking about Christmas, updating your home or just think you deserve a treat then please consider these brilliant brands and consider the little jig they do when a sale comes through.
- Happy Dashery – this is a beautiful shop local to me run by two marvellous women. Your one stop shop, let them take care of all your gift needs with their emporium of loveliness.
- Nell & Digby – the owner of N&D, Cigdem, is a wonderful friend of mine who works so hard on her gorgeous accessory brand. Her beautiful baskets make great storage solutions or are a lovely everyday bag – the food shop never looked so chic.
- Studio Yaya – I’ve been eyeing up these bold prints for a while now especially after decorating Daisy’s new room. I daresay they are actual happiness in print form.
- Family Doodle Doo – we are proud owners of some of Kaley’s pretty peg dolls and the level of detail is insane. They make the perfect gift for friends and family who you can’t see at the moment.
- Beeutifulcreationsbybee – The lovely Bee reached out to me a few months ago and gifted me a lovely t-shirt from her brand. Since then she has become a very good friend. Her stylish slogan emblazoned clothing pack a powerful punch and she supports some excellent charities with the profits too.
- 32 The Guild – this beautiful boutique in Northampton is home to some amazing designer brands and is a bit of an Insta-indulgence for me. I would happily spend a fortune in there!
- Mint Daisy – Not only does Amy have her own little daughter called Daisy, she also makes the most beautiful beaded bracelets exactly how you want them. My own beaded effort (which are no way as good as Amy’s) are tatty and becoming threadbare now so I have these high on my next to buy list.
- Flat 102 – Steph, the brains behind Flat 102, is a screen printing demon. Her motivational plaques and prints will look great in your home and I find her insta-stories of her doing the printing are mesmerising. Steph has also recently set up The Indie Co – a brilliant shop in Milton Keynes that showcases other small businesses as well as her own.
- Zak Ldn – this brand delivers super stylish yet simple clothing for kids so they can get in on the tracksuit/loungewear trend we’ve all been enjoying since lockdown. They also do adult versions if you fancy twinning.
I hope you have found this post helpful. I shall endeavour to do more of them so please let me know of any small brands you support or indeed run that you’d like me to mention.
This post was not sponsored. All thoughts, writing and opinions are my own.